Question
Posted by: Baby | 2012/03/05

Overweight baby

Good day, My domestic worker''s sister has a baby and today I saw the baby for the first time. She is 11 months old and weights 15kg!! I was so shocked because when I asked her about the feeding, she says she is only breastfeeding... she says she doesnt give food or drinks or medication of any sort. I dont know why she hasnt started giving solid foods, but I just want to know what I could tell her??

Dear Baby
Goodness, the 11-month baby already weighs as much as a 3-year-old child! I can only suggest that you urge the mother to visit a clinic or a doctor so that the baby's weight and growth can be evaluated. It is possible that the child is diabetic and requires insulin or other medical treatment. This is a situation where everyone concerned needs expert guidance regarding the health of the baby and any treatment she may need, how she can be weaned so that she loses some weight and what steps can be taken down the line to ensure that the child develops normally.

2
Posted by: Hmmmm | 2012/03/06

11-month old only breast fed....I wonder how true that is. Maybe the mother is embarassed to mention what she really feeds the baby. She probably knows she is feeding him too much.

Reply to Hmmmm

Dear Baby