Question
Posted by: zandi | 2011-02-11

overweight baby

My baby''s birth weight was 3.98kg and now he is 10mnths 12days and weighs 13.8 and I feel he is overweight. I don''t feed him too much but I feel he is picking up lot of weight. He is home with a Nanny so I am not sure how she feeds him. How do I monitor how he eat or how do I reduced his weight. Where can I get a diet for the 11month baby.

Dear Zandi
The average weight for babies at 12 months is 9 kg, so your baby already weighs nearly 4 kg more than a 1 year old child! You need to sit down with the Nanny and tactfully ask her to describe what she is feeding him, how often and in what quantities. You may find that she is giving him extra bottle feeds, adding sugar to his feeds, and giving him sweetened drinks. Once you have uncovered what is going on, you need to just as tactfully tell the Nanny that while you greatly appreciate how lovingly she is looking after your son, you are going to ask her to change some of the feeding/drinkin habits because he is already an obese baby and will become an obese toddler and an obese adult. Explain that fat babies are not really healthy babies and that by overfeeding him at this stage, she is actually ruining his future health. Then you will have to reduce his food intake gradually - the Nanny must stick to the prescribed number of bottles of formula per day made up correctly (ask her to show you how she makes up a bottle - she may be adding too much formula by mistake), to cut out all added sugar and sweetened drinks (including fruit juice at this stage), and to slowly reduce the portions of baby food (porridge, pureed fruit and vegetables and meat) that he is eating. One cannot put a baby on a diet, but one can reduce his energy intake so that he does not gain weight so rapidly. If after 1 month, your son has not lost any weight (hopefully he is crawling and will soon start walking which will use up some energy), then you need to take him to a Paediatrician to see if he does not suffer from diabetes or some other condition that causes such weight gain.
Holding thumbs for you, baby and the Nanny

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-02-12

Dear Zandi