Posted by: Worried Mom | 2009-03-10

Overweight Baby

Dear Doc,

Not too sure if you can advise... My baby is 8 months, weighs 11 kg and is 73 cm. Everyone says she is over weight. The pead says she is ok for her length, but she really looks very big.... Should i go and see a diet doc or maybe just dilute her milk? She drinks Soya formula 900ml per day and 2 jars of food per day. She refuses to drink any water or tea...
Thanks soo much!

Dear Worried Mom
Your lassie is 2 cm taller and weighs 2 kg more than a child of 1 year, so I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you plan her food intake at this stage so that she does not gain even more weight. Does she drink soya formula because of a milk allergy or for vegetarian reasons? if she is not allergic to cow's milk then the dietitian may advise that you chance her milk intake to a cow's milk formula as some children seem to gain a lot of weight on soy formula. If she is drinking 900 ml of liquid a day she may not be thirsty enough to drink water or rooibos tea. I don’t know if she is crawling yet (?), but once she starts crawling a lot and walking she should become more active and this will also help to lower her weight.

Posted by: Jana | 2009-03-11

My friend' s baby - now almost 12 months, was also about 11 kgs at 9 months - and tall for her length. However, once the girl started walking and became more active, she lost 2 or 3 kgs (I can' t now remember exactly how much). So maybe you shouldn' t worry too much at the moment. And besides, babies store up fat before a growth spurt- this may also be what' s happening.

Reply to Jana