Posted by: Curious | 2009-09-30

Overweight Babies

As a baby I was very chubby and quite overweight. But now i am 14 years old and i weigh 45 kg. Is this the normal weight for my age? If so, does being overweight as a baby affect you for the rest of your life? If so, how? I do know that i was bottle fed as a baby, can this affect me negatively?

Dear Curious
Research has established a link between overweight babies and the tendency to overweight in adulthood. The average weight for female teenagers at 14 years is 46 kg and 45 kg for males. So your present weight is perfectly normal. There is no reason why you need to be worried that you, as an individual, will gain weight in later life if you eat a balanced diet and do exercise. Bottle feeding is also not optimal, but your mother may not have been able to breastfeed? The World Health Organisation recommends that all babies should, if possible be breastfed to the age of 6 months, but in the case of mothers who are not able to breastfeed, bottle feeding with a suitable formula is a good option. When you were a baby 14 years ago most of the baby formulas were already well balanced and contained important nutrients such as omega fatty acids which were not included in earlier formulas. Thus you should also not be negatively affected by being bottle fed.
If you one day have children keep in mind the importance of breastfeeding.