Question
Posted by: mom | 2009-02-06

Overweight and Pregnant

I discovered yesterday that I' m pregnant with my fourth child :) I am 27 yrs old and my last baby was born two yrs ago.

I am delighted however I am more concerned this time round as I have picked up weight over the past year and over weight now ( 77kgs). I am worried that I would bec`ome severly overweight during the next 8 month making the pregnancy difficult and unhealthy etc... How do I manage my weight during this pregnancy without affecting the baby? Should I vist a dietician or naturapath...or any health professional for my weight related problem.

Thank You so much for taking time to read and answer my question.

Dear Mom
Congratulations on your 4th pregnancy. I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a slimming diet for you that also contains all the nutrients you and baby need to stay healthy. Discuss what type of exercise you are allowed to do with the dr who is overseeing your pregnancy. If there are no contraindications, try to do the recommended exercise (e.g. walking, swimming) every day for at least 30 min to stimulate your metabolism and promote weightloss. If the dr advises against exercise, then wait until after the baby is born.
Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy