Posted by: Kayla | 2009-04-21

Overweight 9 year old

I have a 9 year old. She is 1.44m tall and she weighs about 52 kg. She is very active in sporting activities at school and she even goes to gym with me. We have tried our best to monitor her diet but she does not seem to lose any weight. We consulted our GP about two year ago and at that stage she weighed about 50kg. She has become much taller and seem to be maintaining her weight but are not losing any. I have heard about links with ADD and possible thyroid problems. Can you shed some light on this and also provide any advice.

Dear Kayla
Your lassie is indeed very overweight with a BMI of 25,1. I would recommend that you have her assessed by a physician because there are a variety of conditions that can cause this type of overweight in children (e.g. underactive thyroid, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes, lack of growth hormone) and the physician will have to determine what the underlying problem is. Once we have a diagnosis, we can look at dietary options to help her lose weight.