Question
Posted by: Brad | 2010/03/31

Overweight

I have been a shift worker for the past 14 years - I have sleep apnea and have been gaining weight steadily - my pressure +- 120/80 - cholesterol ( fasting ) 3.88 and sugar 4.5 but weight is 115 kg.
How to stop the steady weight gain

Dear Brad
To lose weight you need to basically reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life)for 30 or more minutes a day. If you have problems with adapting your diet because of having to work shifts then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess what and when you eat and help you to change your energy intake working within your schedules. Discuss doing exercise with the dr who is treating you for sleep apnoea and only start doing some form of exercise if he/she gives permission.

1

Dear Brad