Question
Posted by: Edith | 2010/02/25

overweight

Hi Doc,
My 20 yr old daughter, is very overweight, even as a child, does not like exercise either. She does have to walk for about 15 min to the station then again 15 min from station to work.
We do not eat " fatty"  foods daily and i avoid cake treats.

I hv even in my mature years picked up 6 kgs (I''ve always been
50-52 kgs) !!! around my middle, and cannot stand it !!! I believe
I eat healthy, regularly eat fruit. I used to love walking, but as I
have been diagnosed with Osteophorosis, my son does not want me to walk long distances any more (pains in my hips).
My concern is for my daughter, what can I give her to accelerate
her metabolism, is there a specific food that burns up fat ???

thanks for yr input.

Dear Edith
To lose weight your daughter needs to basically change her lifestyle. She should reduce her energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase her energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day in addition to her walks to the station. Please don't fall into the trap of buying all kinds of slimming pills and potions to stimulate her metabolism, they either don’t work or a dangerous. While you are on the ‘Weight loss’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (the dangers of diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects of slimming, etc) by surfing on this site.

1

Dear Edith