Question
Posted by: Martie | 2009/08/24

Overtime until dark

We are in an admin office where we are required to work one or two weeks a month until dark because of month-end.
We have protested for months because we feel that it is dangerous for our lot of women to drive home alone at dark but there is little sympathy.
Now on Thursday after overtime (in the dark) our littlest most delicate young woman in our office was hijacked and abducted and had to endure the most terrible torture. She survived this ordeal but will of course never be the same again.
The official standpoint from management is that it could have happened anytime anywhere, which is true in one sence. But to me that fact is that it DIDNT happen anywhere anytime. It happened AFTER overtime in the DARK when she was alone in her car on her way home.
I am scared of the same happening to me - I am not a very strong person and I doubt whether I would survive something like this. Could I be fired for refusing to work until dark? I suppose so. Also when I decided to do an office admin job in my past, I did it to avoid having to go out at night - and now I am in a similar situation anyway!
I would appreciate any advice.
Kind regards
Martie

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Martie my advice would be to remind th employer that have to provide you with a safe working environment and not one which creates stress and fear. They should sit down with you and look at alternatives including transport from work and to home. Have they provided counselling for the hijack victim? All of you should not have to be afraid to come to work.

1
Posted by: Martie | 2009/08/24

I think I posted this question at the wrong forum.
I have reposted it under the labour lawyer expert.
Please ignore this if it is not in your field of expertees.
Should you have anything helpful to add I will still appreciate it.
Kind regards
Martie

Reply to Martie