Posted by: Chantal | 2011-01-31

Overseas break...

This is not a psychology question but any opinion would do.

I have been granted a UK visa to work there 2 years with an option to extend with another 3 years and thereafter permanent residency on staying 5 years.

It was granted in December and i had planned to go end May BUT i just learned that for me to qualify for permanent residency I will need to enter the UK within 28 days of my visa start date which means I must go to the UK around the 8th March!

I am not 100% ready financially to go but I can work something out, I’ m in finance and job prospects are promising, am in contact with an agency that’ s very reputable in securing jobs quickly on arrival and i am prepared to start from the bottom in the first few months to sustain myself.

So for me the bigger picture is the possibility of getting the UK permanent residency VS the fact that I was due a perfomance bonus (I know i was gonna get it) end April hence I was going to leave soon would have made my move smoother financially but now it might be a little bit difficult but still doable.

I know only i can decide but its a huge thing for me im just worried and i guess May was a bit far so now its like emotionally im not prepared to be leaving so soon...

I am single and have no dependents so its just me i must worry about while over there. At this point in my life I have not decided to leave SA permanently but I would like to have that option if I want.

You need to check the details with the UK embassy, to see what, if any, latitude is available on the visa questions. I understand fully why you would like us to provide clear unequivocal answers to your questions, but of course nobody can do that. Sounds like you have an excellent opportunity which may be well worth exploring, especially as it will not burn your bridges as you could later still come back to SA, perhaps with some valuable further experience.

Posted by: Outsider | 2011-02-02

It sounds like you have a great opportunity overseas, I would take the post overseas you do have nothing to lose. If you say you are in finance which sounds like you have a good enough position then even if things don''t work out as planned you can always come back and land a finance job easily - and since you would have had the experience overseas, if you sell your capabilities well you " WILL"  find it easy enough to walk straight back into a finance post back home.

Take the opportunity - it will am sure be the experience of a life time

Reply to Outsider
Posted by: Anon Guy | 2011-02-01

Thanks Chantal - gert.gert05 at gmail dot com

Reply to Anon Guy
Posted by: Chantal | 2011-02-01

Anon Guy, u can post your e mail address I will drop u a mail.

Reply to Chantal
Posted by: Romany | 2011-02-01

JUST DO I!!! You may never get this great opportunity again.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Anon Guy | 2011-02-01

Hey Chantal - i am a professional and would love to liev and work abroad. Is it possible if we can chat - i just need to get some information from you.

Reply to Anon Guy