Question
Posted by: Sanet | 2012/03/22

Overracting

Hi, me again. I was hurt by so many people recently who knows about my Bipolar, that I feel I can just go and sit in a corner and die. I don''t want to face the world. The others I won''t mention, I''ll just say that if people know you are Bipolar or have a mooddisorder, you are not allowed to have emotions. Everything gets put under the magnifying glass. I am still no okay from the shift to Lamitor, even though I bough Epitec. I was much better, only when I upped the dose to 300mg from 250mg myself. I was a bit tearful on my office day a week ago, but had a deadline and could not excuse myself. I cannot even remember what truggered it. I went in and spoke to may manager and explianed that Discovery, once again messed with my meds. I informed her the previous time and remained stable in her eyes. I never cried or was irritbale in the office. I was never moody. This time however it was a trainsmash. She did not say anything on the day, but yesterday when she phoned me to make arrangements on how we are going to work with the hours I''m taking off for seeing the therapist (1st time in 2 years that I take time off for her or the Shrink) she led the conversation to the Monday when I was not well. And said that it is better that I stay away from the office. she did not say until I feel better, she said stay away altogether it sounded to me. She did not say: come in on the days you feel you can handle it e.g. Another lady had a huge crying match in her office the day after me, and she was not banned from the office. Apparently people were asking questions and she didn''t know what to tell them. Just tell them I''m having an off day. It''s not like it''s been carrying on for weeks!
Yes, everyone is going to tell me how demanding Bipolar people can be. And I''m sick and tired of it. I''m hiding away at home, no contact with anyone, as to not be a burden and thinking what is my life worth anyway? If I must now work on Saturdays, I don''t know until when. She sounded like she did not believe me that Discovery messed with my meds again, or was tired of the excuse. I should have taken time off, but it is so hectic at work, so many deadlines, that I just keep on working. I can''t afford to take time off, because there is no one else to do my work.
What do I do? I feel so lonely as if I''m on an island. My therapist is helping me, but once weekly. When will I be allowed contact with the outside world again?

I'm not sure people wont allow you to have emotions at all - they often don't want to hear about your emotions, because that makes them feel uncomfortable ; and they may worry if they feel you might expect them to be helpful when they wouldn't know what to do, and are pretty wrapped up in themselves, anyway.
It'd be worth checking with HR or a labour lawyer, but I'm sure a company is expected to make REASONABLE allowances for an employees illness, as regards time off, and so on. Obviously if it gets excessive and interferes with the office's work, they might want to vut it down or make arangements to make up time at other times. Many folks I know volunteer to work through one lunchtime, to take off an hour early to see a therapist.
But I'm sure they're not allowed to "ban you from the office" and I rather doubt that this is what she meant.
Is there some written document that would confirm for her that Discovery has messed up your meds a second time ?
If, as you say, your work is critical to the office and its reputation, she may be worried that she'll be embarrassed or in a difficulty if you needed more time off ot couldn't meet deadlines.
In the background, if you have important skills, could you be looking for an alternative place to work where they don't have so many acute deadlines ?

1