Question
Posted by: Cat lady | 2011/02/03

overly playful Staffie

My Staffie puppy is not interested in toys, not on your Nellie. Shoes especially tackies, toilet rolls like a cat, clothes while one is wearing them, especially the socalled "  waterfall jerseys" , very tempting side frills that ask to be grabbed (the odd time I do go out smart) Grabbing jeans, bottoms of skirts etc, making Mom fall - what can I do to change this?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Cat Lady, not a Dog Lady i see! I would suggest firstly that you take your pup to puppy socialization where you will receive information as to how to deal with this and give your pup the necessary social skills it needs and they will teach you skills such as the Time-Out for really bad behaviour, the Swap exercise to get something out your pups mouth without a fight and how to stimulate the pup to avoid this behaviour. In between, supply your pup with 'legal' chew toys such as rawhide bones etc and you can even smear a little organic peanut butter inside to make it more inviting. Ensure your pup is getting sufficient stimulation by way of walks and human contact. Use management to make your clothes unpalatable to the pup by spraying them with some pure Citronella Oil mixed with a little water or you can spray them with some Mr. Min or Listerine mouth wash and use management yourself by putting anything the pup gets hold of out of the way - you can even put the toilet paper on the window sill for now. Additionally, as hard as it may be, dont reward the dog by paying attention to the behaviour, this will further reward the dog. Rather have some nice chew toys around and as the dog starts to pull on clothes, say 'uhuh' in a very loud voice. As the pup stops, praise for stopping the behaviour, and immediately offer the alternative chew toy.Good luck, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/02/03

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert