Posted by: Lee | 2009-04-12

Overly anxious

Hi doc. I was always a shy growing up, when meeting new people or going into new situations. But as i got older I became increasingly more anxious. I feel anxious all the time and I can never seem to relax. I can' t even remember when last I slept well. I find that before I write a test for varsity I am anxious, but after I write I still feel anxious and I don' t know what for. i hate this feeling and I am worried I will never really be able to fully relax. I also feel like I just want to be alone lately and I don' t feel like going out with my friends or even talking to them. Please help!

If one has led a fairly sheltered childhood, one tends to develop in one of two directions. Either one begins to discover that company and socializing can be fun, and makes a late start to become sociable and comfortable with others, or one tends to retreat and become more anxious in company, maybe even amounting to a social anxisety disorder, but the high degree of continuing, background anxiety you describe, sounds like a basic Anxiety Disorder. Fortunately, it responds very well indeed to treatment, ideally with CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which is effective, efficient and not too olong ) and perhaps some medication to assist it. Do see a good local shrink for assessment and a discussion of treatment options, as you need not remain feeling this uncomfortable for much longer