Posted by: overgrown puppy | 2009-02-12

overgrown puppy concern

pls help, i am very worried about my boerbull puppy who was born on 26 July last year (almost 7 months old). she is huge and appears to be generally overgrown. she is struggling to get up and it seems as if she doesnt know where to put her paws when she stands. her back legs reach almost to the front paws when she stands to eat. we feed her the best dog food on the market but i have a suspicion there is something else wrong with her bones in her legs. is there such a thing as growing pains?

Dear Overgrown Puppy

Dog that grow very fast do get a inflammation around some of the bones that can cause these signs. I think a visit to the vet may be the best option here.

Posted by: Big dog lover | 2009-02-15

Hi there  I don' t think this is enything strange, especially with puppies of the large breeds. They tend to be clumsy. Our Bullmastiff was a big clumsy puppy until she was almost 10mths. old. But she did very well on a show when she was 1 yr. old. When we started training at the local club to get her ready for showing she suddenly seemed to become more adult. Yours should outgrow it soon, good luck

Reply to Big dog lover
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-12

I hope you' re feeding puppy food, not adult food? And refraining from supplements?

Please do get her checked over by the vet - some problems, if there are any, can best be resolved early.

If this thing only happens when she eats, try this: get a rubber-backed mat from the bathroom, and let her stand on that while she eats - it' ll provide traction for her paws - sometimes dogs are so ' greedy'  when they eat, they tense up and the back feet slip forward. This isn' t a problem, by the way - try the mat test to see if that' s the problem! If she' s ok on that, then just let her be.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-02-12

This could be puppy clumsiness, I ahd a similar thing with my boxer at the same age was also as if she didnt know where her feet were.

I had her checked out tho just to be careful and she was fine , I think you should do the same.

Reply to Carol