Question
Posted by: Vaughn | 2009-03-26

Overfeeding Day

Morning Vanessa, Another quick question, I recently read " truth about 6 pack abs"  and in there they mention having an overfeeding day of carbohydrates to ensure Leptin levels are at healthy level. Does this mean that for one day a week you can eat any type of carbs (simple and complex) and is it best to do this on a training day or an off-training day. I always worry that if its done on a training day you might be defeating the purpose as you will use most of these carbohydrtes during the training. Thanks

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Vaughn

We cannot measure our own leptin levels, but we can certainly measure the carbs we consume thus it always worries me when people advocate that you can raise your hormonal levels – how did they measure that and what were the other factors involved – it would need proper scientific research to proof such!

Also, I don’t think you can just over consume on any nutrient. Balance is the key to everything!
Just one concept that I think you are also misunderstanding – the body will firstly take care of its energy need before it will think of building – thus it would not matter if you ate all of the energy you need in the form of carbs or proteins or fats. Thus it is wrong to think that if you drink a protein shake before training that it will be used to build bigger muscles. If you under consumed calories for that day the body would use that protein drink as energy and it would never even reach the muscles. Carbs is the main fuel source for the body and therefore it vital that you understand how many calories your body needs so that you can supply it with about 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. The hormones will then take care of themselves given all the base ingredients to make them – that means you have to also consume sufficient vegetables as your micronutrients hide in them and they are the spark plugs to making your macronutrient work efficiently. All that said carbs are actually more vital on training days!

Good Luck!

Vanessa

1
Posted by: Vaughn | 2009-04-09

Again, Thank you, I really appreciate your advice

Reply to Vaughn