Question
Posted by: Lydia | 2011/02/04

Overeating then purging

Hi Graham,

I don''t know what to do anymore!! Having realised that I was far to fat I started to watch what I ate through my portions, I did not want to go on a diet but I wanted to learn how to eat correctly. And through that I lost 5kg but then nothing. I am becoming so depressed about this that if I overeat I vomit because I just don''t want to put on weight.

But what worries me is that I will be fine, then suddenly it is like a switch that goes on in my head when I decide to overeat because I know that I can get rid of it. What causes THIS and what can I do to stop it. I have not vomited for a long time and all of a sudden I am doing it at least once a week now for the past month.

PLEASE HELP

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Lydia,
First, it sounds that you took a sensible approach to losing weight by watching your portion sizes. I hope that you were not giving yourself too little food though. However, it sounds as though you stumbled into a bulimic element, which is not only very dangerous, but hardly going to help you loose weight in the long term. For one thing, you are initially overeating, only part of which comes out when you vomit. Secondly, your body's biochemistry is going to become very quickly and very dangerously damaged by what you are doing. I suggest that you try to get back to eating sensible and regular portions. Perhaps consult with a dietcian for guidance (or write to the DietDoc forum). Also, you need to be realistic about your weight. If you eat a reasonable intake, when you weight settles (at what we call a set-point weight), you will need to accept that this is the weight your body is designed and meant to settle at. Be careful not to place all of your self value on your weight, as this is not all of what defines your self worth. Look to keep your life in moderated balance. If you are experiencing other life difficulties, consider seeing a therapist to talk about these issues, rather than allowing these difficulties to be directed towards something destructive. I hope this guidance helps.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011/02/24

Hi Lydia,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert