Question
Posted by: Elisabetha Roughley | 2011/11/12

Overactive Thyroid and Food

Please tell me which foods should I avoid with over active thyroid. I am not sure which food contain iodine. I am very fond of rye bread, is there iodine in rye bread? Should I stop using salt wit iodine. My count came down with medication from 38 to 30 but I believe must be lower than 16.

Dear Elisabetha
I am sorry to hear that you have an overactive thyroid. All commercial table salt sold in SA is iodated, so it would be a good idea to stop using it. Ask at your pharmacy and health shop if they have any table salt (sodium chloride) for sale that is not iodated if you need a bit of salt for certain foods. A low sodium intake is in any case recommended. Seafoods - all fish and shellfish are rich sources of iodine, and should be avoided. The iodine content of other commonly eaten foods is difficult to predict because the iodine content can vary from region to region. For example, fruits and vegetables grown in regions close to the sea may contain more iodine than similar products produced inland. Also check any vitamin and mineral or herbal supplements (i.e. kelp tablets) that you may be taking for iodine content, because some of these products contain quite a lot of iodine. Bread such as rye bread may be baked with iodated salt, but because the SA Food Tables do not list the iodine content of our foods and this nutrient is not listed on the labels of rye bread, I cannot say for sure how much iodine the various brands of rye bread may contain. Certain ointments may also contain iodine and should be avoided.
I hope that your thyroid condition will react well to the treatment.

2
Posted by: Elisabetha Roughley | 2011/11/13

Thanks!

Reply to Elisabetha Roughley

Dear Elisabetha