Posted by: SAMB | 2009-04-16

Overactive bladder

Good morning. I was diagnosed with an overactive bladder. The problem started about two months ago and I only went last week to my GP. He prescribed Urispas. It helps a little during night time. What happens when I stop taking it (when there are no more pills to take)? It is quite expensive and I am not even sure if my medical aid will cover it. Is there anything else over the counter available that I can take to make me go to the loo less? I am trying to do the Kegel exercises (when I remember). Please help.

If you have irritable baldder, your options are pills of one type or another to control it. Urispas is one of the most effective, but there are others available. Kegels exercises will not help. You could try bladder drill - training your bladder to cope with greater volumes of urine over a period of time.