Question
Posted by: FRANK | 2009/01/09

OVER WEIGHT FAT GUTS

HI, I AM A 55 YEAR OLD MALE 1830 HEIGHT AND 109KG WITH A BIG QUITE HARD STOMACH. MY MATES JOKE THAT I AM A WALK AROUND SPONSOR FOR THE 2010 WORD CUP. I EAT EXTRA LEAN MINCE SOME FRIED FISH, BROWN RICE AND MIXED VEG, POTATOES. BUT I EAT AT LEAST 3 LOAVES BROWN SEED BREAD A WEEK AND THAT GOES WITH 500g FLORA LIGHT PER WEEK. THE REST OF MY BODY IS TOTALLY OUT OF PROPORTION NO FAT FINGERS,LEGS OR ARMS. MY WORK AS A CONSTRUCTION ELECTRICIAN KEEPS ME PRETTY ACTIVE. SHOULD I CUT OUT ALL THIS BREAD AND MARGE ? WHAT DOES ONE REPLACE IT WITH.
REGARDS, FRANK.

Hi Frank

There's a lot on diet here, and that's not really my speciality, so I'd suggest speaking to a dietician about this. My first impression is that your diet, while relatively healthy in terms of the options you're taking, might actually be insufficient in volume and also missing a few food groups. A dietician needs to assess that and prescribe what you need to eat and the amounts. I think it's really important that you do this.

Then what is missing, and what I can suggest things on, is exercise. You need a programme that is based around cardio training, including walking, jogging, cycling, perhaps aerobics, depending on what you have access to.

In terms of a programme, my advice would be to check out the programmes on the Health 24 fitness page.

Click on "Fitness", then on 'Programmes' and choose one of these training programmes. My advice would be to choose the walking or running programmes (the first or second one) and then go for them. Also look through the Fitness section, because there is a loads of useful information there that will help you. Bascially, what you need to aim for regular exercise, and be consistent.

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well). So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focussed on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. If you do that, and you eat well, then you should lose weight.

1
Posted by: JO | 2009/01/12

Dont call yourself that- it sounds so mean. You sound so nice so dont be so hard on yourself. Well , l' m no expert but judging by the amount of bread you eat- l' m guessing it must be about 6-8 slices a day- plus all that marg, no wonder you are in your predicament. I suggest you eat fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, a snack mid morning (eg,10 raw almonds), a sandwich (2slices bread) for lunch. Another snack in the afternoon and then dinner as normal except try not to eat bread- or any other carbs for that matter although there is so much contoversy about eating carbs after 5pm- l'  m not sure what to believe. I think if you eat in moderation ( cliche l know ) then you should be fine. But definitly try and cut out the bread and butter- especially that seed bread which may seem healthy but l am certain it has the most fat and calories in it. Good luck. Alternatively see a dietician and do some excercise other than your job.

Reply to JO