Question
Posted by: Jessica Kruger | 2010-10-04

Over weight but pregnant

Hi I have just found out that I am 9 1/2 weeks pregnant but the doctor said I am over weight. Can you suggest a safe diet that I can follow to loose the excess weight approx 15k''s without harming my baby

Dear Jessica
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Because you are pregnant, I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can work out a diet that will cause moderate weightloss without depriving you or your growing baby of vital nutrients in this critical period. If the doctor gives permission you can also do moderate exercise like going for walks in the fresh air or swimming now that summer is on its way. This is not the time to use any strict diets or to do strenuous exercise because this could harm the baby. Above all, don't take any slimming pills or potions, esp those that are sold over the counter and are advertised as 'safe and natural'. Such slimming products usually contain potentially harmful ingredients that can pass through the placenta to the baby. Until you see the dietitian, you can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet, but add 2 extra servings of fat-free milk or yoghurt to the diet to ensure that you and baby obtain the 1200 mg of calcium you need per day.
Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-04

Dear Jessica