Question
Posted by: Mpho | 2010/09/29

Over Feeding

I was recenlty blessed with a baby boy. I have a concern though regarding his feeding pattern since we are not staying together with her mom. The boy is 4 months old and the grocery that im buying every month is: 2X1.8kg Lactogen Milk  4 boxes of cerelac  22 bottles of purity. Is it possible that a four month old can eat so much staff every month?

Dear Mpho
Please excuse me, but I am not quite sure of your question. Is the following correct? You have a 4-month-old baby boy who stays with your mother? and you buy these foods that you listed for the baby boy every month? and now you are wondering if the child is actually eating all these products and getting too heavy or if some of the food/milk is being used for other purposes? If I have Not got this right please post a new message to sort out the story. I am also a bit suspicious about these quantities if the food is being given to a 4-month-old baby. Basically he should be receiving formula milk with no additions except clean boiled water until the age of 6 months. If he is, however, already eating solids then he should be having about 1 tablespoon of cereal 3 times a day and half a bottle of purity a day. What does your baby look like? is he very overweight and have you had him checked at your local clinic where they do growth monitoring? If not, it may be a good idea to take the baby to the clinic yourself so that the clinic staff can assess him. If he is too heavy for his age then you will have to persuade his caregiver to gradually reduce the quantity of food he is given every day, otherwise he could become obese. If he is not overweight or even underweight then you may have to investigate who is actually eating all this food.
Holding thumbs that you can sort out what is going on because it must be expensive to buy all this food every month.

3
Posted by: Mpho | 2010/09/30

Thanks Doc for the reply. Yes you are correct. I will investigate this whole thing because it cost me R 800 to purchase this items every month and im not sure whether they are consumed by my boy or am I feeding the nation.

Reply to Mpho
Posted by: .... | 2010/09/29

Hi Mpho

I think you must post your question to the Paediatrician, there you will get more advise

Reply to ....

Dear Mpho