over excercising

I currently do alternate days upper and lower body " weight"  training, and abs each day for 1h15mins.This is followed by 1h20mins cardio. Running, cycling, stairmaster and fitness flyer. I do this 5 days a week. I am getting hell from my family who say l over do it. Part of it is obsession and l get depressed if l dont go, but l love it and l dont feel too tired, and if l do , its because l am up at 5am! I know it is more than average but do you think l am being silly? I have been doing it for about 5 months now and occasionally l have weeks when l dont feel as energetic but have not had " burnout"  as such. Can l carry on like this? Thanks.

HI there

Difficult one. You're spending an enormous amount of time training, and quite apart from the fact that this involves physical effort that might cause overtraining, there's also a commitment of time that you're making. To wake up at 5, and then spend nearly 3 hours a day in training is a lot. And the fact that you're getting grief from those around you suggests that maybe you're over-committing. NOte that this has nothing to do with whether or not you're doing too much, it's more whether or not you feel that it's too much.

When you say part of it is obsession, well, there's no easy way to put a positive spin on that. So I think part of this is that you have to question your own approach to training, and say that maybe you are doing too much. Not because others suggest it, but because you yourself say it's obsession.

That said, if you have the time, and you're not compromising the rest of your life to train, then it's not a bad thing. It seems that you can manage the training load, so overdoing it does not seem to be a concern right now. obviously, you have to be aware of it and if things start going badly, back off. But I just think it's more important to evaluate the time commitment and ask why people feel it's too much. are they seeing something you're not? Are you training at the expense of other things? That is more important in this particular situation.

Thanks to both of you. You both seem to know what you are talking about and l suppose l have some thinking to do! I certainly wont maintain it until l' m old but then most people, no matter what excercise they do, dont do it religiously for the rest of their lives. I am starting yoga in the evenings so maybe that will " calm me down"  a bit!!! I do have a trainer by the way- he says its too much but l just ignore him! I suppose the fact that l have lost 10kg' s in 2 months makes me feel like l need to do this, but l will slowly start cutting out a bit of cardio as l think if anything that is what tires me out the most!
Thanks again- very interesting Expert forum and nice to read others'  questions!

Hi there,

Health and Fitness is all about balance. Some people are very much fitness fanatics like you, but they have to take supplements and protein/carb shakes to help them keep up this kind of training and in the end, it' s a waste of money and you probably will " burn-out"  eventually. Questions you should ask yourself is what are my goals in exercising and for what reasons am I doing it? You need to be able to do exercises that you can do for life. Do you think you will be able to carry on like this until you are old? To be fit is great, but I would seriously suggest you get a personal trainer to help you in your training regime., because they will be able to help you achieve your goals with the right kind of nutrition and exercises. All the best!