Question
Posted by: Nondi | 2012/06/20

Over Eating

I have been struggling to lose weight for at least 5 years. I have a BMI of over 30 and recently I eat a lot. I have tried a healthy eating plan, going to gym and using diet pills and meal replacement shakes and nothing helps because I feel hungry all the time and I even eat at night. I''d even eat meat and cake, pudding or whatever I can find. I am now worried because I even go to bed with chocolates and sweets and keep them under my pillow for when I get hungry at night. Do I have an eating disorder? Would taking laxatives help me lose wight? Can I go to a GP or would have to be a dietician for an appetite suppressant.
Nondi.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Nondi,
Although I am hesitant to make a diagnosis on the forum, it does sound like you are binge-eating and also suffering from what has recently become known as "Night Eating Syndrome". Please set the idea of laxatives and appetite sup
Resistant aside immediately. That is only going to complicate your problem further. I suggest that you start with consulting a glistened dietician who preferably specializes in eating disorders and disordered eating. You would likely also benefit from consulting with a psychologist who specializes in the same field. Once your eating can be normalised, your therapy would need to explore what the emotional difficulties are that prompt you to eat beyond a normal physical appetite. Consider that you are eating large quantities in the evenings on an emotional rather than physical hunger. Email me if you'd like some recommendations in your region.
Regards,
Graham

5
Posted by: Steven Moezak | 2012/09/10

I have lately started eating very much.and I just can''t seem to stop myself I eat when I am not even hungry what do I do? Most times I eat myself to the point where I am sick why has this suddenly started happening?

Reply to Steven Moezak
Posted by: Richard | 2012/07/18

Dear Graham, please help me as i have a terrible overeating disorder as i want to eat all the time which has resulted in being terribly overweight (185kg) and am worried that i will start to have serious health problems. I presently suffer from hypertension &  rheumathoid arthritis and am on chronic medication for them. I have this constant hunger which causes me to eat all the time. Please help!

Reply to Richard
Posted by: advice | 2012/06/23

Hi there. Repost your 2nd post as the expert does not go back to old posts. Good luck.

Reply to advice
Posted by: Nondi | 2012/06/22

Thank you doc, yes please, could you email me recommendations for these experts? I am in Cape Town, Northern Surburbs, nearest to me would be Bellville and Kuils River, even Cape Town CBD will be fine. However, am not sure if I really need councilling but am willing to go for one session.
Thank you so very much.

Reply to Nondi
Posted by: Eating Disorders Expert | 2012/06/21

Hi Nondi,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders Expert