Question
Posted by: Pink | 2011/03/29

Over dose x5

Good day
Please advise me as I really do not know what to do anymore.
My sister (41 years) has been diagnosed with HIV about 10 years ago.
She did not really adapt her life style drastically, although she eats healthy she still have unprotected sex at times and consume alcohol.
Her health is in a good condition but she is suffering from depression I think it is due to her condition and financial problems.
She’ s a single mother of two and I know it is very difficult for her.
What actually troubles me is that she had 5 attempts of suicide by taking an over dose.
She also received psycho therapy and was previously admitted in a psychiatric hospital.
Although she survives every time her kids suffer because of that.
Her 18 year old daughter then has to look after her 14 year old brother and (her mom) my sister.
I can see that her daughter is suffering a lot because of this and it also have an influence on her performance at school.
What trouble me the most is that we have at several times helped her in many ways and cannot do anymore that we have already done.
My mom is an elderly woman and my stepfather suffers from cancer which means she have a lot to deal with as it is, but always have to run after my sister to assist her.
We all have families and our own problems to deal with and it seems that he just doesn’ t care.
What can we do to bring her to her senses?

The alcohol ( alcohool is a very effective depressant ) is probably also adding to her depression. With all due respect, your sister sounds a selfish and irresponsible person, not acting in ither her own best interests or those of her children.
Child Welfare . Social Development, etc., should be informed about the plight of the children, and assess the situation. And as Maria asks, isn't there a father or fathers who should be involved ?

4
Posted by: Maria | 2011/03/29

Yes, it''s called the department of Social Development. If you get them involved they might want to remove the 14 year old and put her in foster care or a children''s home, if the situation is bad enough. Where are these kids father, can he not take care of them?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: DoW | 2011/03/29

Yes we have a department of welfare.

You can apply for FREE
Sushi
Housing in JHB northern suburbs
Single malt whisky
Mercs
Overseas trips
Jobs with Big salaries even without qualifications or experience
Get out of jail free cards

But you have to be politically connected to register for benefits....and you also have to hold on a long time with the call centre!

Reply to DoW
Posted by: Cutie | 2011/03/29

She is not your responsibility. There is not much you can do other than advising the Department of Welfare about te situation with the kids. By the way...do we still have a Department of welfare in SA? (Not being sarcastic, realy want toknow)

Reply to Cutie