over diagnosis of bipolar

i was talking with a friend at a braai a while ago and he mentioned that many people he knows are being diagnosed as bi polar, he believes it is being misdiagnoised and over diagnoised....whats your take on it???

Expert ImageArchive

Psychiatrist: I recently read a journal article discussing the over-diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder. The study was done in the USA and the author's conclusion was that it is indeed over-diagnosed.

At the same token, Bipolar Disorder is often not diagnosed and treated as straight forward Depression, Personality Disorders, etc. Obviously this may have devastating effects on the patient's life.

In order to make a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder a thorough interview with the patient as well as information from spouses, parents or friends together with a clinical mental status examination is needed. Psychologists and Psychiatrists are well trained to do this and it is my personal opinion that this diagnosis should be made by these professionals.