Question
Posted by: HMom | 2011-10-17

Oven chips

hello doc,
My daughter LOVES over chips (she is 3) and only really eats potatoes in this form - is this healthy? I obviously bake them in the oven...

Dear HMom
Most of the oven chips do list the nutritive value per 100g on their labels, so you would have to check if the values on the label of the specific brand of oven chips that you use, is similar to the one listed in the SA Food Tables. According to the SA Food Tables, oven chips contain 866 kJ and 7.6 g of fat per 100g, compared to French fries fried in vegetable oil which contain 1277 kJ and 14.8 g of fat per 100g. In this comparison, the oven chips have a lower energy and fat content than the French fries and are preferred. However, if one compares oven chips to the nutritive value of a baked potato (without added butter), which contains 471 kJ and 0.1g of fat per 100g, then the latter potato that is not cooked in oil, is by far the better option. I realise that your 3-year-old probably only has about 30 g of oven chips at a meal, but in the long run it may be better to get her to also eat boiled and baked potatoes without added fat. Do the change-over gradually so that she can get used to eating different types of potato products.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-10-17

Dear HMom