Posted by: Fransie | 2009-03-04

Ovary sist

I started to have lower abdominal pains in July 2007, I went to my house doctor and he recommended that I should go to my gynae. I went to the Gynae in Sep. He identified a cyst on my right ovary and change my tablets to Yasmin, he also gave an injection. The pain at my right side continue and I only went back in Jan 2008, the cyst developed again and was about 3cm. He then decided on a laporoscopy. It went well for a few months when the lower abdominal pains and the pain in my right side got worsed. I went back to my Gynae in July, he gave me an injection and requested to see me a week after that. The cyst(3cm) was still there after a week and the sides if the cyst was thick. I went for a laporotomy again, treatment of endimitrioses and a oval suspension. Few months later the pain started again. I went back in Jan, an injection was given again for the 3cm cyct on the rigth ovary. I went yesterday again. The Gynae is sceptical that the ovary can cause so much discomfort. According to him a 3cm cyst can not cause continious pain. He decided to treat me first for a spastic colon before he makes another decision. My medical aid doesn' t want to pay for the medication. I' m also not even sure if I have a spastic colon. The symptoms are ussually a pain in my left side, sometimes +- 10 days after menstruation more severe pain and appears a bit swolen. Also lower abdominal pain and back pain. Any adivise from your side?

I agree that it is unlikely that a 3 cm cyst would cause severe pain. However, if you have endometriosis, this is a differnt story. There are various treatments for endometriosis, the first line being Depo provera or Tridomose.
Spastic colon is difficult to diagnose, but is usually associated with intermittent diarrhoea and constipation. The medication is usually not too expensive, so I would suggest that you pay for it and try it for a month or so. You don't really want further surgery at this stage.

Posted by: Marietjie | 2009-03-05

Hi, Can' t believe why your gynae makes you go through so much suffering. I went for a general check up with my gynae on the 23/02 when a cyst (5cm) was detected on the LH ovary and 2 smaller cysts on the RH ovary. I had no discomfort as a result of the cysts. He suggested a laporoscopy with a question to do a overectomy, since I had a mini-hyst in 2003, which he then duly did whilst I was under anesthetic. Instead of having future discomfort or any threats of other problems my gynae advised my 100%. The opp was minor compared to the anesthetic. Recovering well!

Reply to Marietjie
Posted by: Fransie | 2009-03-04

With reference to query 1485.

My apology, I forgot to add my age.
35 Years
2 Children

Reply to Fransie