Question
Posted by: Annette Atkins | 2012/09/17

Ovary query

HI, I have recently had a few ultrasounds that showed an abnormal ovary. I am booked in for exploratory surgery and possible ovary removal. Are you able to give me your thoughts, opinions on the below report. Thank you :

The uterus is bulky with a volume of 170cc. The myometrium is equal in thickness both anterior and posterior thought here is quite marked shadowing from the anterior myometrium. The left ovary has a volume of 7.9cc (27 x 24 x 22mm) heterogeneous in texture with a whorled appearance. Normal stroma of the ovary is not identified. No vascularity to the left ovary. The right ovarian volume is normal at 8.2cc (32 x 20 x 24mm) There is an 18mm dominant follicle. Incidental note of 12mm fibrial cyst.

Comment: The morphology of what we have called the left ovary is atypical. The left ovarian morphology is stable, in regard to previous ultrasounds. Possible causes could include endometriosis, hemorrhagic cyst, and other avascular causes for the appearance might need to be considered, eg fibroma.

The report shows a problem with the ovary but they cannot tell exactly what it is. It could be endometriosis or a tumour or a cyst which has bled. The laparotomy is to see exactly what is going on.

1