Question
Posted by: Jen | 2010/04/09

Ovary pain and discharge

I have been on Yasmin for a few years now. Every now and then, in the first week of my active pill, I get a brown tinge to my discharge. Is this normal? I assume it just means that your body is cleaning out the last bits from the period stage.

Added to this, during this week, I have felt swollen in my lower abdomen, with my one ovary particulary throbbing every now and then.

Basically I just want to know if I should be worried at all and have it checked out at my gynae? I am due for my yearly check up in June only.

Thanks for your time!

You may be right that the brown discharge is the end of your period. It sounds okay to wait till your check-up in June.

2

Posted by: CJ | 2010/04/09

Hi Jen.
I usually get the brownish tinge to my discharge too within 3 days of taking the active pill. I have been for my yearly checkup, and was told its nothing to worry about, and its quite normal for the body to rid itself of " leftover period." 
I suppose it depends when you get this swollen, thobbing ache, because I know I get the same feeling about a week just before my period, and its what i was told " fake ovulation pains"  as the pill does in a sense " trick"  your body into believing it has ovulated already. If you have this pain all the time, i suggest getting it checked out.
I am on Yasmin too, and have been for the last 5 years, hence why I commented.
Hope this helps, but if you unsure, I suggest getting it checked out.

Reply to CJ