Question
Posted by: tams | 2008/07/30

ovary failure

Hi Dr

I am a paient of Dr Hansen in Durban and have had 4 ICSI treatments over the past 4 years. I have a 3 year old daughter, but would like another child. I have just had a FSH and E2 test done (monday morning) with the results being 16.3 which the dr said was really bad and that i am not ovulating and my ovaries have failed due to the high dose of Gonal F for all the treatments.
He said that the chances of falling pregnant with more treatment are very slim. (between 5 and 10 percent). (my husband already has less than 3% chance due to bad morphology)
Do i chance it again and go through all the emotions and terrible headaches or do you recommend taht we get a second opinion or just give up?
regards
tams

Dear Tams

My suggestion is that you repeat the FSH level on day 2 of your menstrual cycle in about 2 to 3 months time. If however it remains persistently high then I certainly agree that you fall into a category of a poor responder to ovarian stimulation. Which means that you may or may not produce ovarian follicles in an IVF or ICSI cycle. The option available to you would then be either going ahead with an IVF cycle knowing full well that the response maybe limited or no response at all or the alternative would be a donor oocyte cycle.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo

5
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/07/31

Its a pleasure!
The AMH test is Anti-Mullerian Hormone and determines egg reserves. The AMH test must be read in conjunction with the FSH test. The AMH test can be done anytime in the cycle whereas the FSH must be done on Day 2/3 or 4 of a cycle.

You should try acupuncture. I know Dr Colin does it at the Life Centre in Durban.

Reply to Dee GTC
Posted by: tams | 2008/07/30

thanks so much for the info- you have been really helpful. I will get some wheatgrass tablets to take.
yes the dr did say that i had poor egg quality. Now what is an AMH test? I have never heard of that one before. Dr did say that my egg reserve was low- but no actual no. Will be seeing 2nd dr on thur next week, so will get a full review and check for all the tests.
many thanks
tams

Reply to tams
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/07/30

Day 4 would have still been OK.

Wheatgrass tablets or juice can be bought at Dischem, its supposed to help with reducing FSH levels, I havent tried it myself but Ive read that somewhere. Staminogro is just a multivitamin which wont really help with lowering FSH levels, it just improves egg quality. A high FSH is an indicator of poor egg quality. Please ask to have your AMH tested aswell, this gives an indication of egg reserves, you are looking for a number above 1.0

Reply to Dee GTC
Posted by: tams | 2008/07/30

Hi there Dee GTC
The FSH test and E2 tests were done on day 4 of my cycle but the results would have still been the same- according to the dr. ( day 2 was sat and the rooms were closed so i only spoke to the dr on monday on day 4).
i am going to get a second opinion from dr ramdeo to have things checkd out. Where do i get wheatgrass tablets from? I am already on stamino grow tablets and have been for 4 years. i thought that was meant to help with ovulation!
thanks for info

Reply to tams
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/07/30

With an FSH of over 15 your chances are very slim but not impossible. At my clinic your FSH level must be below 10 for them to do an IVF cycle. You can try wheatgrass tablets or juice to decrease FSH levels and also acupuncture. Was this test done on day 2 of your cycle?

I beg to differ from your FS on the reason for the high FSH being due to the Gonal-F. FSH levels increase as a person gets older and ovarian function decreases its not from high doses of Gonal-F otherwise all IVF patients would have increasing FSH levels and that is not the case.

Reply to Dee GTC