Question
Posted by: MK | 2012/02/14

Ovarian Cysts vs pregnancy

My husband and i have been trying for our third child since August last year. My periods are normally on time (30 days with spotting two days before the actual period), but in January they were 10days late. Last week i felt a sharp argonising pain (labour like) but on my left ovary. I was rushed to the doctor, and was diagoned with a 4.5mm functional ovarian cyst on my left ovary. He referred me to a Gynae, who said it must be drained as its too big. I decided to seek alternative opinion (Homeopathy) as i''ve had friends that were operated for this and they almost yearly have to re-drain the cysts and 1 was actually told that the cyst has caused some cancer and they have to completely remove both ovaries.

Im currently using homeopath complex to shrink the cyst.
Can my cyst impede on me falling preganant? If i do get my periods, will that mean the cyst has ratured?

DEAR MK

THE PROBLEM OF OVARIAN CYSTS DEPENDS ON A NUMBER OF FACTORS INCLUDING WHETHER THE CYST IS A SINGLE ONE [SOLITORY CYST] OR WHETHER IT IS ASSOCIATED WITH OTHER CYSTS AND ALSO IT DEPENDS ON THE CONTENT OF THE CYST AS NOTED ON THE SCAN. A SIMPLE SINGLE CYST OF 4.5CM DOES NOT ALWAYS REQUIRE AN OPERATION AS MANY OF THESE CYSTS CAN BE TREATED SUCESSFULLY USING HORMINAL MANIPULATION. THE MOST LIKELY CAUSE WOULD HAVE BEEN A MINOR PROBLEM WITH OVULATION. OCCASIONALLY A CYST OF THIS SIZE MAY CONTAIN SOME BLOOD IN WHICH CASE IT IS CALLED A HEMORRHAGIC CYST AND THIS MAY LEAD TO PAIN BUT ONCE AGAIN IT IS NOT ALWAYS NECESSARY TO OPERATE. I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU VISIT ANOTHER GYNAECOLOGIST FOR AN INDEPENDENT VIEW AND PERHAPS MONITOR THE SIZE OF THE CYST ON REGULAR SCANS. SHOULD THE CYST EXCEED 5.5CM THEN THIS MAY REQUIRE SURGICAL INTERVENTION.

ANSWERED BY: DR M.I. CASSIM

3
Posted by: Sana k | 2016/02/10

I have cyst 4.5 mm and also pregnant 5 weeks but after all test my baby is not growing so dr. Asked me to do abortion. I WANT reason did cyst effected the baby or somethng else must be the reason.suggest.....

Reply to Sana k
Posted by: Bizzle | 2015/06/25

Hi i have PCOS and i sometimes have irregular periods and I'm 19 yrs old, i have multi cystic ovaries one is 4.5 and one 5 i have very painfu cycles and sometimes so much pain, please help and tell me what should i do?

Reply to Bizzle
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2012/02/28

DEAR MK

ANSWERED BY: DR M.I. CASSIM

Reply to Fertility expert