Posted by: 2 shy 2 give my name.. | 2009-08-26

Ovarian cysts, menstruation and birth control

Hello Doc, Please can you help with advice re this problem? I am 31 and have 3 kids.

I was on the injection for a year and a half after my last child was born. I never had a period during that time. I recently had a 7 cm cyst (no cancer!) drained and I also have about 4 others which the surgeon says, ought to come out when I next have my period. How long ought it take for my period to come after such an op?

So my common sense tells me that I should not be on any kind of birth control until this problem is sorted out. My husband said he would be more than willing to have a vasectomy as we are not planning any more kids. I am just wondering, would a gynae generally support an application to a medical aid fund to pay for a vasectomy (the fund doesn' t normally pay) in an instance like this?

Thanking you kindly for your advice and kind regards

I don't think that you will get the medical aid to pay for the vasectomy if they do not usually do this.
I am not sure why you have to wait for your period to have the cysts removed. There is no reason why you should not use contraception while waiting for your surgery.