Question
Posted by: Anxious Ann | 2012-05-17

Ovarian cysts and thyroid problems

Dear Doc,
I''m 30 years old and stopped Minerva in Sept 2011 to try to conceive (no previous pregnancies), and then had 2 34 day cycles (anovulatory). On gynae exam shortly after, my ovaries both had multiple cysts. Doc ran blood tests and androgens and insulin came back normal, but I was hyperthyroid.
I then had a total thyroidectomy in Feb 2012 due to a toxic multinodular goiter. After the surgery, I was obviously hypothyroid, and my levels have only recently begun to normalize (tsh was 0.43 this week). My last 2 cycles have both been 38 days long, with heavy bleeding, and I had light cramps and occasional sharp pains for most days throughout my entire cycle. My acne has also returned (the reason I started Minerva 8 years ago) and I picked up 3 kgs in 3 months.

Could I still have PCOS despite the normal androgen profile? Can the constant cramping and sharp pains be related to the cysts? Or should I worry about endometriosis because of the pain?

Most importantly, I would like to know how long I should wait after achieving now euthyroidism and having stopped the birth control before another follow-up with my gynae to see if the cysts are still there?

Any advice would be appreciated!

The diagnosis of PCOS is made by finding multiple cysts on scan. Andtrogen levels can be normal. I would suggest that you see your gynae within the next 3 months.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-05-21