Question
Posted by: Wayne | 2011/05/30

Ovarian cysts

My mother was recently in hospital for Kidney stones, however on the CT scan they discovered that she had an ovarian cyst. She is 73 years old and had a full hysterectomy in 1974. The doctor at the time obviously did not remove all her ovaries during the hysterectomy. My question is, is it necessary for her to go through major surgery at her age, especially since she has no pain or discomfort and this thing could be there for more than 30 years? She is very fit and healthy and up and about. Please advise urgently . Thanks and Regards,

Cysts at this stage may be cancerous. There is often a suggestion of this on the scan. It would therefore be advisable that it is removed.

1