Question
Posted by: FED UP | 2010/02/08

Ovarian cysts

Hi Doc,

I would just like to find out what causes ovarian cysts and what can I do to prevent the damn things. Been diagnosed with PCOS.

I have one ovary and have cysts: (normally 8cm)

Sept 2008, April 2009 and Feb 2010 (2 cysts).

I am overweight (84kg / 1.67m) so is this the cause ??

How can I prevent getting these cysts ? i am so damn fed up.

Thank you for your response.

Dear Fed up

In cases of PCOS the cysts are very rarely if ever as large as 8 cm and therefore would look to other possible causes for the ovulation dysfunction. Also the reason for having only one ovary is somewhat of a confounding factor. Unless the ovary was surgically removed the only other possibility would be an absence of the ovary from birth and should this be the case it is important that other pelvic abnormality be ruled out. I would suggest that you visit a fertility specialist who would be able to carefully work through all the possibilities and to manage your ovulatory dysfunction and cysts more effectively.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/02/12

Dear Fed up

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert