Question
Posted by: chocolate | 2011/03/22

ovarian cyst

Hi Doc,

My mum is 64 yrs old. She has an ovarian cyst. She suffers from angina, HBP &  anxiety &  is currently on medication for all three. Her Gynae says we need to remove the cyst. Her blood result are " fine"  according to the doc. The cyst is 3cm by 3cm. She is currently experiencing pain in her lower middle back &  on her sides. Not to mention how highly stressed she is. She has also been gaining weight gradually (2kgs from dec to now?) I am taking her for a second opinion.

We are just concerned about operating at her age &  taking into consideration her other illnesses.

Your advice will be most appreciated. Thank you.

She would need to see an anaesthetist to check her fitness for surgery, but cysts at this age are a worry as there is the risk of cancer. I presume that this is why her doctor wants to remove it. This is not the case in younger women with cysts.

1