Question
Posted by: SJN | 2009-01-08

ovarian cyst

hi

can some one help me please?

I usually get the nuristerate injection. After having a scan on tuesday I found out that i have a cyst on my left ovary. It is ±  3.5 cms x 1.7 cms, so they will not remove it. Instead i have been told to start taking yasmin. My next injection is due on 19/01/09 but my doctor made me start taking yasmin on wednesday. I have some questions:

1) I have really bad cramp from the cyst, how long will these last?
2) Technically i am now taking 2 forms of birth control until 19/01/09 when the injection wears off, is this damaging in any way?
3) what can i do for the pain? I have tried pain killers and hot baths and hot water bottles but it STILL hurts!!
4) why do i get cysts when i am taking birth control? dont they usually prescribe birth control to get rid of cysts?? ( this is the second one i have had in 2 years, the first one was removed via laproscopy).
5) I have not had a period in 5 years (due to the injection) will yasmin bring my period back right away or will it take a while?

Thanks in advance

Dear SJN
Progesterone contraceptives sometimes cause ovarian cysts which go away with treatment with a combination pill
The treatment is not damaging.
Try adding Scopex 1 3x per day and see if this will help for the pain?
You may have a light period from the Yasmin.