Question
Posted by: Worried daughter | 2012/10/10

Ovarial cancer

Hi Doc.....My mom is 68 yrs....Always relatively healthy woman....She had a historectomy together with lifting her bladder and colon 6 months ago....They didnt remove her ovaries.
Last week during the 6 month follow up check up the doc saw a huge growth on her lleft ovaria( more than 2 fists big)..... They did surgery yesterday....She was diagnosed with cancer, they had to cut out a piece of her colon-|-well, because the cancer has penetrated the colon.
My question is: Why do they leave the ovaries when removing the uterus....Because my thought is that if the doc has removed all, she wouldnt have had cancer now! And how can cancer be missed and appear so quickly?

Ovaries are usually left because of the benefit of the hormones they produce. Cancers can grow very fast sometimes. If the hysterectomy was done form the bottom (vaginally),which is often the case when it is done togethern with lifting the bladder, then it is also more difficult to remove the ovaries or even to see them properly.

2

Posted by: EDCee | 2012/10/10

worried daughter, i speak from experience.
My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in June and passed away in July.

The first thing I need to tell you... cancer is a word not a sentence. Everyone is different. My mom had a pain in her hip, they found the growth on her ovary all 15kg of it, they removed the growth and did a full hysterectomy. The cyst and surrounds were checked apparently it was all benign.
In May her armed snapped for no reason - they discovered it was Ovarian cancer that had spread to the bone.

Unfortunately when cancer is exposed to air it spreads rapidly - hence the op caused the cancer to spread with your mom. The question I have to ask is what cancer has she been diagnosed with - it may not neccessarly be ovarian just because the cancerous growth was on an ovary. It may be a metastatic cancer similar to what my mom had ovary cancer in the bone.
If the cancer started in her colon and spread to the ovary she would have metastatic colon cancer. Colon cancer is manageable in fact all cancer is manageable if caught early enough, but they tell me colon cancer is one of the easiest to manage.
Please do yourself a favour, don''t panic and don''t over google too many horror stories on google.
As for your how can they miss cancer like this I have no good answer, I am asking the same question but I am told with a large growth it is impossible to check every square millimeter of it and 1 cancer cell is all it takes.
I wish you and you mom well....

Reply to EDCee