Posted by: Kiki | 2009-07-21

Output exceed input

Hi Doc, thanks for your help!

I would like to understand the above theory in simple english, the only way i can get close to understanding is if i ask you to calculate the foll for me:

I would like to know if my output (exercise ) is exceeding my input ito calories/kj and i do not know how to work it out so will give you an example of a typical day' s eating plan so you can please calculate for me and tell me if it does exceed and whether i will loose some weight slowly which i know is the healthier way to loose and maintain:

Female, age:35, 1,69m tall, current weight : 72.5 BMI about 26/27

Typical day eating plan:
Breakfast: Cooked oats/jungle B/Low GI muesli - 1/2 cup
Fat Free Milk or Fat Free Vanilla Yoghurt
1 Banana

1 naartjie

Lunch: Chicken/Fish/Lamb/lamb liver made with a little olive oil, a salad and or veg 1cup) -1/2 cup basmati rice/1 slice low gi bread/90mg sweet potato/5 small baked potatoes/1/2 cup cooled mealie meal.

1 provita/maize snacker with 3 spoons fat free cottage cheese/1apple/12 grapes/10 strawberries

Supper: Same as lunch - without the carb though!?
2lt water and about 2 cups green tea incl in the 2l water, maybe a decaff coffee 1 cup.
I exercise on treadmill, fast walking for 15 min and another 15 min on a stationery bike at moderate pace, then 3 x wk i do either yoga/pilates/the balancing ball

Is my exercise still too little and am i eating too much still, pls work out my cal/kj as above diet then i can check on the bike/tread how many calories i am burning. i do not know how to work out the above diet?
Thanks so much.

Dear Kiki
I would love to assist you, BUT there is no way that I can work out the exact energy content of the various diets Readers describe to me every day. Answering all the questions already takes hours every day, so I cannot provide this kind of service in addition. I can look at your diet and estimate that your diet should promote weightloss because it is low in fat and this will immediately lower you energy intake. If you need to have the exact energy content worked out please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will be able to advise if you need to reduce your energy intake even further. The question of how many kJ you burn with your exercise is also not simple because let's say your bike/treadmill gives you a reading of 500 kJ per hour, then there is still the added benefit of an increased basic metabolic rate that occurs when you exercise. This effect can last for up to 24 hours and will use up additional kJ.
I would recommend that you try the diet and the exercise and monitor your weight and dimensions once a week and you will see that you are losing kg and cm.

Posted by: Rina | 2009-07-22

Why don' t you just the calorie counter on the website? That is what I do everyday. Then, if you want to lose weight you should be consuming between 5000 and 6000kj. You can also subtract your kilojoules burnt throught exercise which you can also estimate on the website.

Reply to Rina