Posted by: Abby | 2009-11-27

outdoor running VS treadmill

I ve been doing the treadmill for a couple of weeks now and theres no big difference .A friend told me that I need to run ourdoors to work out the whole body .is this true ? should I run outdoors to work out the whole body ? I mean I still run on the treadmill ?

Hi Abby

No, not needed. There are a couple of small differences between them but nothing like what you've heard. The main difference is the change in terrain, because you go up and down, and that means different muscles are used, but it's a small difference. And besides, you can get that by changing the gradient on the treadmill. The other differences are biomechanical, but they're so small it's not worth worrying about!

Posted by: Abby | 2009-12-04

Thank you L for taking your time to answer me, BUT 6 times a week ?? come on L ?

Reply to Abby
Posted by: L | 2009-12-02

1. 35 minutes on Treadmill is ok, provided you do it 6 times a week, not 3 times.
2.To lose weight , you need to eat healthy. No matter how many times u exercise, it wont make a difference if ur diet is not sorted.
3. Give it time. It takes a least 3 weeks to see the weight loss results.

Reply to L
Posted by: Abby | 2009-12-01

Im trying to lose 10kgs .currently I do 35 minutes running on the treadmill 3 times a week at a moderate pace .I also strech for 10 minutes afterwards .

I do drink 2 litres of water but my diet needs a bit of work .Im a 25yrs old female , weigh 64.2kgs and will like to go down to 55kgs .According to my BMI , my Ideal weight is 57kgs cause Im short .

Ps ' theres no different ' , I meant I havent lost even 1 kg .

Reply to Abby
Posted by: L | 2009-11-27

What do you mean when u say " there is no difference" . Are u talking about fitness or losing weight?

I think you must give more details 2 ur question 2 get an appropriate answer. e.g

1. How many minutes do u spend on treadmill?. The more time u spend, greater chances of getting fitter/burning calories.
2. If trying 2 lose weight, Is ur diet ok and do u drink 2 litres of water daily?
3. If trying 2 lose weight, what is ur current BMI?. wHAT IS UR WEIGHT, HEIGHT ETC.

I do agree that jogging is much more preferable to treadmill especially when you are trying to get fit or tring to prepare 4 comrades marathon.

It depends what u are trying to achieve.

Reply to L