Posted by: Sweetpea | 2009-07-13

Out of Ideas

Hi Doc, for many years now i have been suffering from high stress and ulcers which it seems in turn has left me with IBS as well as a bit of a spastic colon. Why I am writing is because I am out of ideas as to what to eat and do about my situation. My bloating and cramping is brought about by a few things, the first is not eating every two hours, the second is when I am under stress the symptoms are on their worst and the third is eating food such as coffee, fruit, dairy and wheat. I am a highly active person and these symptoms are really getting in the way of what i love. How do i get this under control? Pro-Biotics are not working. I also want to know what I can eat as an inbetween meal snack as I have had to cut out all of the low fat options I used to eat yoghurt, fruit etc.....Please help.

Dear Sweetpea
Firstly I think you need to address what is causing your stress and how you handle stress in general otherwise you will burn yourself out. For your own sake, Please consult a clinical psychologist (your gp will be able to refer you), so that the psychologist can teach you relaxing techniques. Then you also need to consult both a gastroenterologist (a physician who specialises in the digestive tract and its ailments) so that you can obtain the correct treatment for your various digestive problems, and a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
The dietitian will have to help you sort out your diet so that it does not cause your discomfort and bloating, but still provides all the nutrients you require for good health. For example cutting out all dairy products will cause a calcium deficiency, so the dietitian will have to adjust your diet to compensate for this.
But first and foremost attend to the stress, otherwise everything else is a waste of time and money.

Posted by: Susan | 2009-07-14

I note that you say you are very stressed? Are you also depressed? The reason I am asking is that I was an IBS sufferer too for many many years, till I was diagnosed with depression. The dr prescribed antidepressants and since then I have no IBS symptoms anymore! So my IBS was definitely connected to stress! Good luck, IBS is TERRIBLE!!!!

Reply to Susan
Posted by: Y | 2009-07-13

Hi Sweetpea,

I think you' re going to have to eat a low carb, high fat diet. See the following to articles on IBS and ulcers:

www dot second-opinions dot co dot uk/ibs dot.html
www dot second-opinions dot co dot uk/ulcers dot html

I' ve followed the advise on this website (and Barry Groves'  book) for rheumatoid arthritis, overweight, heartburn and stomach ulcers (which all basically are: eat less carbs and more fat) and it worked very well for me.

Reply to Y