Question
Posted by: Mom going crazy | 2010-02-02

Out of control teen

Please help.

I have a teenage son (15yrs) who is out of control. He was born from my first maraige (physically an mentally abusive) and has grown up in two sets of household. Ours where we are strict and expect respect and his father' s parents home where they swear, curse, etc. We have had problems with him not wanting to study and he actually failed last year.

My husband and I recently upgraded our coimputers after I stopped working (with pension monies), the rest has been put away for an income. He feels that we should have bought him a new computer too as R6k is nothing compaired to the 100' s of thousands of rands we have,

He has now become even more verbally abusive towards us and very rebellious, He won' t do his home work or even talk to us unless it is for swearing.

He has also threatened to leave the house and to commit suicide. My ex-father-in-law has threatened us with the police is we as much as touch him.

Should I contact a psycoligst or do you have an alternative.

thank you for helping.

He sounds like a very disturbed young fellow, and in genuine need of proper expert help. I doubt that your ex-father-in-law has much legal authority here, though much would depend on the isues of custody, etc, decided in the divorce and laid down by the court. The boy should be seen and assessed by a child psychiatrist or child psychologist with a particular interest in adolescents ( his school may know of some ) and possibly would benefit from treatment and advice to you as parents.
If the ex-father-in-law has any authority at all ( if not, a court would tell him to mind his own business ) he could hardly expect to be taken seriousl by any court if he complained about a disturbed boy seeing a shrink for help

4
Posted by: Linn | 2010-02-10

That boy is using emotional blackmail to get his own way. You need intervention. Take him to a good psychologist with experience in dealing with adolescents - and ignore your ex-father-in-law who may well be encouraging the boy to act this way.

Reply to Linn
Posted by: Anon for this | 2010-02-08

Leave him to carry out his threat. It will be salvation and freedom for you and definately not a loss for the community...

Reply to Anon for this
Posted by: Vivian Johnson | 2010-02-04

My daughter`s ex boy friend want to share thier kid on a per weekly basis, which is not in my eyes correct . His parents agree to this and dis regading that my daughter as the biological mother.Been to family advocate, they will only mediate, she has appointment with Famsa. Need results in form of ldocument.
She and ex not on speaking terms, and are our next door neighbour.

Please assist or advise, dont have the money to go to court.is there an option in the legal ferternaty?

Reply to Vivian Johnson