Posted by: Evelyn | 2012-09-17

out of control sugar cravings!

I have never been one for sugar or sweets but for the past few months or more I have been having unbearable sugar cravings! I get extremely irritable and cannot focus and no matter what I eat, I still crave sugar. This has lead to me spending a fortune on sweets and every time I try not to give in the cravings get the better of me. If I eat too much sugar I sometimes pass out. I have been tested for diabetes before but it turned out fine. I am on a very healthy gluten free mediterranean diet, which worked wonders for me as I have a gluten intolerance, hypothyroidism, ADD as well as rheumatoid arthritis. Please help!

You will have to consult your doctor to determine if your thyroid function is well controlled. Hypothyroidism can cause a sugar craving, especially due to the fact that the refined sugars enter the blood quickly and gives a sudden burst of energy. I think that you are in a negative cycle of eating refined sugars to get energy, which is short lived and then your body craves more sugar. Try replacing the refined sugars with healthful alternative sweeteners like xylitol, stevia and agave nectar. Avoid artificial sweetners, like sorbitol, aspartame and saccharin, as it contains artificial ingredients that can cause harm to your body.