Posted by: Fats | 2013-01-24

Out of control eating - reply to everyone

Hi Cybershrink and everyone
I appreciate the replies and advice but perhaps my post was not clear. I seem to have no willpower. I used to do modelling and lived on a tiny bit of food each day. No matter how I try it is not working. I am totally put off the hypnotherapy now especially cost wise. Actually, I do not know what to do. For instance, if I knew that applies DEFINITELY gave you cancer I would not touch them. I know my eating is a problem for my health and it is accelerating my insulin resistance into diabetes but I cannot eat properly. Actually I am at my wits end and I do not know what to do.

Telling yourself you have no willpower will wither and shrink the willpower you do have. One can't really gain or maintain weight on "a tiny bit of food each day" See a dietician, and explore whether there's someone offering CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ) which is adept at conquering the profoundly negative autmatic assumptions and automatic thoughts you have developed - I CAN't do it ! I CANNOT eat properly, and so on

Posted by: Lucy | 2013-01-25

Could you have an eating disorder? I recently heard about this - check it out:

www helpdiet co za

Reply to Lucy
Posted by: Leila | 2013-01-24

Like CS said, say " I CAN DO IT!'' For a moment forget about willpower. Forget about all the diets and not eating this or that, all you need to do is reduce your food intake by alittle bit. Im sure after a reasonable portion you will know when is enough.

Reply to Leila
Posted by: Fats2 | 2013-01-24

If only people understood that it''s not as simple as " willpower"  nobody in their right mind choses to be obese. Another thing is those who don''t suffer from being overweight just don''t understand that there can be a very real addiction problem, just like addiction to drugs / alcohol / gambling tc. The only difference is that our " drug of choice"  is food. Unlike drugs etc, it''s not as simple as just cutting them out, because we have to eat to live, and that''s the problem. Once we start, we can''t stop.

I also tried hypnotheraphy, but to no avail! One thing that did work for me was to see a dietician, who worked out a manageable eating plan accoring to my weight at that time, and that was a low GI diet, which really did help to shed the kilo''s

Reply to Fats2