Posted by: Fats | 2013-01-24

Out of control eating

I over-eat, I am fat, female, in 40''s. People say I am beautiful but I do not do myself justice. I try so hard. Cannot stick to a diet, always hungry. Have tried many things to curb the appetite. I am a stress eater. I have heard about hypnotherapy. But how does it work - do you get told you will stick to your diet, you hate carbs, you only eat healthy choices or what do they say to you? I cannot afford to see a professional and I work all day so a clinic is out too. I am insulin resistant. I read up on this gastric balloon thing and it scared me that I can be this fat and this desperate. I also do not respond well to drugs and my GP won''t give me an appetite supressant as it made me sick. How many times do you have to go for hypnotherapy? Does it last your whole life long?

I'm sure our Dietdoc could advise, and any good dietician could be really helpful for you. Hypnotherapy is not the solution, and is wanted by people who want a mahic wand to be waved, needing no effort on their part. It is not the solution. It absolutely does NOT last a lifetime ; it is not magic. And it is not cheap.
If you only buy healthy oods, and have nothing else in the house, you can't eat the things that are bad for you. And if you overeat celery, it won't be a problem and wont happen often !

Posted by: Fustrated | 2013-01-24

I tried hypnotheraphy for other issues and it was a waste of R4000 (5 appointments at R800 per hour). I couldnt get my mind to focus on whatever she was wanting me to focus on, all I could think of was everything else!
Some people do not respond to hynotherapy and I agree with Leila, it is something you actively have to try do yourself. For instance, I think I might have a gluten sensitivity so I am trying to cut it out my diet. I don''t eat chocolate, cakes, sweets, hardly drink coffee - maybe 1 cup a month!
Keep drinking water - take only the healthy foods. DONT calorie count as you become obsessed with it and end up combining all the wrong foods just to stay within your daily limit (I did this and was constantly hungry anyway). Try serving your meals on a small plate as this fools the mind into thinking its more food than it is. Limit yourself to 3 (healthy and small) snacks a day and 3 slighly bigger (healthy) meals a day. Put your knife and fork down between mouthfuls and chew slowly and properly to give your stomach time to start feeling full.
I have an issue where I wake up ravenous at 3am - but I don''t get up and eat because I am trying to train my brain and body to realise that this is not the right time for breakfast! Its really hard cos I lie there for 2 hours with a grumbling stomach and start feeling sick if I get too hungry. But I have to persevere with this. Somehow my brain/body conditioned itself to waking up at this time for a snack so it stands to reason it can be unconditioned.

Reply to Fustrated
Posted by: Leila | 2013-01-24

I would suggest you try willpower -sheer willpower just to halve your food intake and not worry about diets and you''l be on the road to success in no time!

Reply to Leila