Question
Posted by: Help | 2008/09/29

Out of Control

Hi DietDoc &  everyone

Basically, I feel completely out of control of my life... I know what I have to do to make it better, but I' m lacking the motivation.

I have a truly beautiful relationship with my fiance, so thank goodness I am great in the love arena... But every other facet of my life is not what it “ should”  be. I hope you can help...

1) I am about 10kg’ s overweight –  I need to start eating healthily and going to the gym. I have a gym membership that I pay R400 for every month…  but fail to use it. I eat healthily during the week for breakfast and lunch, but by the time supper comes I come off the rails. Weekends are just plain bad with eating…  And here’ s why:
2) I really enjoy coming home after work and smoking a joint (dagga) and on weekends I enjoy it too. I don’ t ever think about it while I’ m at work or when I need to do anything serious, but I love it when I have time to relax. Obviously smoking dagga is not good for one’ s weight as I get terrible munchies and that’ s why I eat badly in the evenings and on the weekends.
3) Just over a year ago I picked up smoking cigarettes. Not a good idea! I’ ve just hit that phase of addiction, looking forward to having my first ciggie in the morning. But now that I’ m smoking, I have no motivation to go to the gym because I know it’ ll be a massive battle with my lungs. Plus I’ d rather go home, relax and have a joint. So bad!

All in all I know what I have to do –  Stop smoking (in every form), eat healthy and go to gym…  But I just can’ t get my head around it! And I’ m not a dumb person…  I think I’ m just being lazy…  and indulgent. Please, I really need help here. I’ m in my late 20’ s and doing damage. I’ m not in control.

Dear Help
Stop smoking both the joints and the cigarettes immediately. You probably have an addictive personality so you may need to ask your gp to prescribe medications like Nicorettes to get you off these drugs. The joints just make eating control so much harder because as you say, you develop the munchies and then probably eat vast amounts of food, esp sweet and fatty foods because the so-called cannabinoid receptors that react to the cannabis are also linked to excessive intakes of fat and sugar. So stop the smoking and then start using that gym membership. You don't have to start your exercise at the level where you need to be a super athlete. Just start doing some gentle exercise (disregard that instructor who will want you to knock yourself out and this will demotivate you even further) and as you get fitter and lose some weight you can increase how hard and long you exercise according to your own programme. But use the gym! For slimming purposes you can use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). If you find that your motivation is just not good enough, contact the following Websites: Motivation = www.innertalk.com or www.motivators.co.za and obtain their motivational tapes to get you off the smoking and to motivate you to stick to your diet and the gym.
Do the positive thing

1
Posted by: Jean | 2008/09/29

No one can help u with this, u have to help yourself and get the right mindset first. go to the " talk"  next to this tab and to weight less. there is some wonderfull ladies that can help u on the stright and narrow.
good luck

Reply to Jean