Question
Posted by: L | 2011/08/29

OUT OF BREATH : VERY FRUSTRATED

this year is supposed to be my year of running. and i''ve been training quite hard. i do hills once a week, speed work once a week and a long run (10km once a week). my heart rate is 50bpm which should indicate that i''m getting pretty fit, but as soon as i start running i''m out of breath. even just walking really fast or walking up a flight of stairs makes me breathe hard.

i struggle with mucous in the back of my throat because of a permanent post-nasal drip. the pharmacist said i should use ACC effervescent tablets but it''s not really helping. it gets so bad that it feels as though i have only a sliver of an opening through which i can breathe. i don''t know how to do that whole spitting thing that runners do (and frankly i don''t think it''s very ladylike)

i don''t have money to go the doctor so please don''t tell me to go see someone....

i started using lemon and cayenne pepper as well (apparently this is supposed to help with sinus problems) but i also haven''t really felt any difference. any other advice that i can try?

Hi L

You may have exercise induced asthma. It's worth a test anyway, because if that's what it is, then no amount of "trickery" is going to help, but medication can, so it's worth considering a test for that. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's what is needed. Everything else you try, if it is an exercise associated bronchoconstriction or asthma, will not do anything except waste your time.

2
Posted by: L | 2011/09/04

thank you in any case...... if only health care (and tests) were cheap :(

Reply to L
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/09/04

Hi L

Reply to fitnessdoc