Question
Posted by: sas | 2011-12-11

ouchie ear

Hello Doctor
I get tonsilitus from time to time (yes still have tonsils at age 30). I had a really horrible bout recently and I got antibiotics and stuff from my doctor. it really helped for the tonsils, my query comes in now with my ears though (I know it''s all connected: ears , nose and throat etc) I''ve been getting a little bit of an earrache in my right ear now that the tonsils are better. The ear makes itself known especially when (sorry it''s a bit gross) I burp. Could they be linked at all and could the pain in the ear that''s coming through now explain why I''ve been dizzy and losing my balance for the last coupla months?

Yes, the ear, nose and throat are all connected. It is possible that you have otitis media (inner ear infection) and you will have to consult your doctor for a course of antibiotics. Sinusistis can also be the cause for the raised pressure of the inner ear, causing the ear ache, dizziness and loss of balance.