Question
Posted by: Elaine Marais | 2010/06/20

ouch!

I have severe headaches. I also have trouble sleeping and when I do I will wake up in the middle of the night with a terrible headache. I take a lot of pills but with no effect. I have seen many dokters with this problem but they all tell me its megraine but the medisine they give me does nothing!!!! I ged sharp pains shooting through my head from one side to the other. I will have no headache or pains for weeks and then suddenly it will hit me and I will have it for days or weeks. I have had my eyes tested my sinuses cheked my hair cut. I have had so many things done but with no relief. My stomach is burning from all the self medication. It feels like two fists in my head pushing towards each other and then pulling away again. I am at my wits end. please help with any advice. I''m desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Elaine,

Please don’t despair – there is an excellent chance that you can be helped. Unfortunately the medicines they use for migraine often don’t help, and the self-medication only makes things worse because of the side effects. What has to be done is to get to the cause of the pain - to get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/06/22

Dear Elaine,

Reply to Headache expert