Posted by: Ann | 2009-06-22

Dear ENT expert,

I keep on getting ear infections - my GP says that it has something to do with my TMJ and has put me on Trepiline 10mg to stop me clenching my jaw at night. It has helped a bit, but I still feel blocked in that ear quite often. What can I do?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Ann

A TMJ problem will cause a painful ear or pain with eating / chewing. It does not cause ear infections or a blocked ear. Trepiline will not help for ear problems. If you grind your teeth you might benefit from a bite-plate that your local dentist or maxillo-facial surgeon can assist you with.

If your main symptom is a blocked / deaf ear or recurrent infections, you must see an ENT for an evaluation of the ear canal, eardrum, middle ear and to assess eustachian tube function. You might also need a hearing test to exclude an underlying hearing disorder.